1. Colourpop Lippie Stix in Peacocky – This is a cool toned blue-red in Colourpop’s small and short-lived Sheer formula collection. It was perfect daytime red, more so than the other wearable reds on this post. It would be a good introductory red for someone not used to a bold red shade. Sadly, based on the dwidling inventory and markdowns at Colourpop’s website, it appears the brand is phasing this out. It was $5 on Colourpop’s website.
2. Colourpop Lippie Stix in Let’s Play – This is a medium deep red with the smallest margin of shimmer and a Satin finish. Unlike the other purchase from the Colourpop x Hello Kitty collection (the ultra drying Matte Date Mate), it is somewhat hydrating. It lasts for hours as long as you don’t smudge it. It is like Nyx’s Snow White but brighter and with shimmer. It’s not for beginners, but a solid shade for people that already like red lipstick. $5 at Colourpop’s website.
3. Loreal Color Riche Lipliner in Always Red – This was my first lip liner. I never have problems with feathering, so I cannot attest to that feature. It was fine, but Nyx’s slim pencil is half the price and gets used up more slowly. $8 at Target.
4. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella – This lip pencil deserves a spot in my makeup Hall of Fame. It’s amazingly well done in three ways: durability, formula and color. The color stays on during eating, drinking, and light, accidental brushes with your hands or clothes, unless you are particularly vicious during these activities. The formula is true to it’s name – It’s like velvet. Not too soft and slippery (I’m looking at you, Nyx) like some cream lipsticks, and not too drying and stiff like some matte lipsticks (Ahem, Colourpop!). Free as Sephora VIB birthday gift. $27 at Sephora regularly.
5. Nyx Creamy Round Lipstick in Snow White – A great “holy grail” find for many people. This medium dark red makes teeth look whiter and is all around flattering. I’ve recived compliments on the shade. I used it for a long time until it replaced by Nar’s Matte Velvet Pencil due to the latter’s superior durability. $4 at beauty supply stores.
6. Nyx Lipliner Slim Pencil in Dark Red – I’ve used this as a liner for all the red lipsticks in this post and others, and it has meshed well with every shade. When I forgot to bring lipstick, I just colored in my lips with this. It’s comfortable, cheap and one pencil has a lot of product. $4 almost anywhere (Target, Walgreens, beauty supply stores).
7. Pacifica Natural Lipstick in Super Love – Another great casual, daytime red, like Colourpop’s Peacocky and Revlon’s Lip Butter in Candy Apple. It’s formula is very creamy and soft, so much so that it broke when I was using it one day. $10 at Target.
8. Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Candy Apple – Nice daytime red color. I would have bought it again but it is a discontinued product now.
9. Revlon Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow – This is a raspberry shade that belongs in the pink family more so than the red. I did not like it as I found the color unflattering. $5 at Target.